Independent Cause and Origin Reports
- What caused the building damage?
- Is all the damage occasioned to the building an insurable event?
- The cause of building damage typically determines if the insurer
has any liability.
- We establish the cause and origin of reported damage to a building.
- We detail the full history relating to the specific insurance claim
and compare this data to the available evidence on site.
- We can carry out moisture testing of specific building elements
to isolate moisture sources.
- What existed prior to the insurable event?
- We establish (where possible) and document all building works
including, fixtures, features, quantities, model types, timber
species, other materials used and features that existed in a
building prior to the loss.
Independent Scope of Works Documentation
- What building works are required to be carried out in line within
the insurance companies’ written terms & conditions?
- How will current Building Codes impact on the building repair?
- We detail exacting specifications relating to the resultant building
damage occasioned by the “insurable event”.
- This allows for building contractors to quote and compare “apples
for apples” on the same independent scope of works.
- Both the insurance company and the insured benefit from an independent
assessment of an insurance loss prior to quotations being sourced.
- We can advise of potential areas where the building code may require
additional building works.
- What is the true condition of the building before any
repairs are carried out?
- We assess, document and photograph the pre existing conditions
of buildings at a nominated site – this prevents argument
later on about the “new” repairs in an “old” building.
- Sometimes this extends to documenting the conditions of building
elements on shared title boundaries- again this clarifies starting
conditions and reduces disputes
- What would be the market cost of the repair considering foreseeable
- This can assist insurance companies to be informed of expected costs
and give an overview of an insurance loss before any repairs begin.
- We can also obtain current market prices for repairs by recognized
and established insurance building contractors- again these prices
are based upon our independent scope of works documentation, so prices
are based on “apples for apples”.
- Is the building worth repairing?
- What would be the balance of life in the building prior to the
- What is or was the building worth?
- For insurance claims to be settled if damaged buildings are not
going to be replaced.
- We discuss specific requests with licensed real estate valuers to
assist with claim settlement.
- Is the repair of a suitable standard?
- How does any pre-existing condition impact the repair?
- Our office can inspect and advise in writing based upon relevant
- We can clarify pre existing issues before works begin; this
reduces the likelihood of disputes arising later.
- What happens when an emergency order or demolition order is
served on the owner?
- In significant insurance losses, the local council can be involved
from the outset- they are required to protect the community. The council
may issue a building order, building notice, emergency order or a demolition
- Our office can liase with the local council and the Relevant Building
Surveyor (RBS) and the insurance company to assist in this process.
We refer specific issues to the relevant engineers for determinations,
calculations and comments that are specific to an insurance claim.